Thoughts on Staying Healthy and COVID-19
With the growing concern regarding the Corona Virus, I wanted to share some recommendations for staying healthy.
First and foremost, focus on things that are actually in your control. Feelings of fear and being overwhelmed by the situation are not going to help anything. You are in control of your emotions and your emotions are directly linked to what you are thinking about… So what are you thinking about lately? If you’re like most people in the past week, the Corona Virus has been on your mind. I don’t blame you, its been on my mind as well.
I’m not going to tell you to stop thinking about the Corona Virus, because that would not do you any good. Stress actually decreases your body’s immune response. What I am going to recommend you do is to think of things that are in your control that you CAN do.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Pray- God knows what is going on and is still in control. We have not been given a spirit of fear, but a Spirit of Power, Love, and a Sound Mind. Psalms 91 is also a great prayer for this situation.
2. Get Adjusted- Getting adjusted does so much more than relieve your aches and pains- it allows your nervous system (which controls everything in your entire body) to function optimally. Studies show people who get adjusted regularly stay much healthier than those that do not.
3. Eat healthy- If you’re a patient of mine, this is a frequent conversation. Make sure you’re getting your protein in at breakfast, lots of veggies, fruits, some complex carbs and good healthy fats throughout the rest of the day. Stay away from sugar! Sugar will work against your body’s immune system.
4. Sleep- Go to bed at a decent time and try to get in 6-9 hours of sleep every night.
5. Take your vitamins- If you’re not sure what to take, come and get tested. We have lots of vitamins for immune support and some I use for prevention as well.
6. Get exercise, fresh air, and sunshine- the three best vitamins in my opinion. Go for a run, hike, walk, etc. Just get out there and move!
7. Call someone up and see how he/she is doing. Pray together for all the “uncontrollables”, offer to help if you are able. Sometimes focusing on helping others can give us perspective and help us as well.
As of now, Total Body Wellness Center will remain open this week. I want you all to be healthy and to have what you need to stay that way. We will be taking extra precautions regarding the spread of germs and will be wiping everything down between each patient. You can schedule your Total Body Wellness visit at drstephmartell.com or on the Total Body Wellness Center app. Be well and have a great weekend.